Here’s the summary, route map, and statistics from a trip to two parties, on consecutive weekends, on opposite sides of the country.
Here are all the trip reports for this journey:
- 2017 SPITS – Introduction and Day 1
- Wind, Tank Test, Light Show, and Mexican Food
- Colorado Passes and Dodging Snow
- Canyons, Red Rocks, and Snow Flurries
- Upcoming Fun in the Snow
- Snow to Start, Wind to Finish
- California at Last
- Home in a Hurry, Part 1
- Home in a Hurry, Part 2 (through snow?)
- Home in a Hurry, Part 3
- Home in a Hurry, A Wet Part 4
- 2017 MAMMARY Run
Here’s the route I took for this trip. It is probably best to use the blah link to open the map in a new window so you can enlarge it an inspect it in detail.
Here are the pertinent (and often useless) statistics for this journey
- Total distance: 6,239mi (10,041km)
- Longest day (mileage): 655mi (1,054km) – Des Moines, IA to Denver, CO
- Shortest day (mileage): 264mi (425km) – Ann Arbor, MI to Warrendale, PA
- Average distance per day: 389mi (626km)
- Average distance per travel day: 470mi (756km)
- Miles riding solo: 4,965mi (7,990km)
- Miles riding 2-up: 1,180mi (1,899km)
- States visited: 12 – Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska, Colorado, Utah, Nevada, California, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Maryland.
- Total trip days: 16
- Travel days: 13
- Longest day (time): 10:55 – Valley Springs, CA to Delta, UT – 607mi (977km)
- Shortest day (time): 5:21 – Ann Arbor, MI to Warrendale, PA – 264mi (425km)
- Highest altitude: 11,486ft (3,501m) – Hoosier Pass on CO9 in Colorado.
- Lowest altitude: 1f (0.3m) – eating lunch on the shore of Chesapeake Bay.
- Average fuel efficiency: 38.6mpg (6.09L/100km)
- Best fuel efficiency: 49.98mpg (4.7L/100km) from Bridgeport, CA over Carson Pass to Valley Springs, CA
- Worst fuel efficiency: 30.51mph (7.71L/100km) fighting crosswinds from Fort Morgan, CO to North Platte, NE
- Average fuel efficiency riding solo: 38mpg (6.19L/100km)
- Average fuel efficiency riding 2-up: 41.1mpg (5.72L/100km)
- Total fuel cost: $455.93
- Total fuel used: 159 gallons (601.9L)
- Average fuel cost: $2.863/gallon ($0.78/L)
- Highest fuel cost: $4.299/gallon ($1.13/L) – Bridgeport, CA
- Lowest fuel cost: $2.479/gallon ($0.65/L) – Fort Morgan, CO
- Longest distance between fill-ups: 284mi (457km) – Warrendale, PA to Harwood, MD
- Most gas pumped during a fill-up: 7.486 gallons (28.34L) – Omaha, NE
Note that the documented tank capacity is 7 gallons (26.5L)
- Total service cost: $0
- Things now broken on Nightowl: not a damn thing!
- Days sleeping in a tent: 4
- Days getting a hotel room: 9
- Days staying at home or in friends’ homes: 2
- Songs played from music stored on iPhone: 840
- Songs played from SiriusXM radio: I didn’t count.