After the monsoon-like conditions of the previous day, we went to sleep relieved by the weather forecast that the rain would be gone in the morning. It was with some consternation then, that we awoke to find that a light rain was still falling. A quick check of the weather radar revealed that we could be dealing with a light rain for most, if not all, of the day’s trip out to Bar Harbor, Maine. Yuck.
Continue reading Improving weather at Bar Harbor
Posted from Bar Harbor, Maine, United States.
We knew from looking at the weather forecast that we were in for a damp ride from Cape Cod up to Bradbury Mountain State Park in Maine. We did not know, however, that we would nearly drown on the way.
Continue reading A wet ride to Maine
Posted from Brunswick, Maine, United States.
I was able to leave work around 4:30pm and headed north out of downtown Detroit to go pick up Karen, who had escaped her employer around 4pm. The rain in a huge system heading northeast had already arrived in the greater Detroit Metropolitan area so I donned the rainsuit for the trip out to Karen’s.
A quick check of traffic (I love the Google Maps app on my iPhone) revealed I75 north to be its usual parking-lot state so I rode up Woodward Avenue to Royal Oak. Karen was already changing into her leathers and put on her rainsuit while her parents joked about there being “dryer modes of transportation”. Aren’t they hilarious? 🙂
The weather radar showed a steady line of rain down to Toledo, Ohio, but then a break between that and another long line of heavy rain near Cleveland. Lurking off to the southwest of Youngstown, Ohio was another string of nasty yellow and red on the radar image, denoting some heavier weather that was slowly marching towards our path to the Pittsburgh area. It looked like it was going to be a dicey ride.
Continue reading Wet, but not so wet
Posted from Cranberry Township, Pennsylvania, United States.
After a good night’s sleep at the Super8 in Troy, Illinois, I checked weather and concluded that there was less chance of rain if I went home via Chicago instead of Indianapolis. In hindsight, maybe I should have taken the chance on the rain along the southern (and warmer) route.
Continue reading And then it got cold…
Posted from Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States.
The morning in Superior, Arizona was cool and clear. Checking the forecast for a few cities and towns along my route, it looked like there was a good chance that the nasty winds that I encountered on they way down were waiting to torture me on the way back too. It also looked like it would be chilly, with temperatures in the 35-50˚F range.
Continue reading A long, cold, day
Posted from Amarillo, Texas, United States.
After a good night’s sleep, I was ready for an easy — albeit full day’s — ride down to Superior, AZ for Red’s MIAZ gathering. I had know idea that the day would become something of an endurance test. Continue reading The winds from hell
Posted from Superior, Arizona, United States.
Nothing really went as planned for this first day out.
I wanted to get out of work around 3pm to I could be well on the road by 5pm. That would put me in good position to beat the advancing line of thunderstorms that was coming up from Indiana. It would also afford me the best chance to get down towards St. Louis, MO before I turned into a pumpkin.
Continue reading Planned for rain but got frozen instead
Posted from Springfield, Illinois, United States.
I’m leaving for Arizona this evening after work and my goal is to get to somewhere around St. Louis, Missouri before getting some sleep. Unfortunately, there’s plenty of nasty weather forecasted along the way.
As it happens, I can get to St. Louis by way of either Chicago or Indianapolis. (There’s only a only a nine mile difference between these routes.) So my quandary is: which route to take?
Here’s the latest radar from the Weather Channel.
Hmm… what to do?
Posted from Detroit, Michigan, United States.